Offered in Greece through Hellenic American College
Summer Session for High-School and College Students
June 26 - July 14, 2017
The Aviation and Flight Academy uses in-class instruction and hands- on learning to teach students about aviation and flight. The material covered in the in-class sessions is followed up with first-hand observation and practical learning at a number of aviation sites, including Athens International Airport. Courses are offered in Athens through Hellenic American College.
- Download the Aviation and Flight Academy brochure (.pdf, 875KB)
Courses available this session:
Each course provides 45 hours of instruction and 3 college credits (6 ECTS credits)
In cooperation with Athens International Airport, Global Aviation SA and American Community Schools - Athens
Designed for high school students aged 14 – 16, the Aviation and Flight Academy uses in-class instruction and hands-on learning to teach students the principles of aviation and flight.
The material covered in the in-class sessions is reinforced through the University's Learning Management System and is followed up with first-hand observation and experiential learning at a number of sites. These include:
- Aviation History at the Air Force Museum
- Air Transport Operations & Aircraft Maintenance at Aegean Airlines & Athens International Airport
- Ground Operations & Air Traffic Management at Athens International Airport
- Flight Operations at Megara General Aviation Airport
The program leads up to a day-long session where students fly on a discovery flight.
Designed for students interested in a career in the global aviation industry, this course provides an overview of the diverse aspects of aviation management and operations. It covers key aspects of the international aviation system, including regulation and international conventions and explores topics such as safety, environmental and security management.
- Airport Operations at Athens International Airport
- Aviation Safety and Accident Investigation at Air Accident Investigation and Aviation Safety Board (AAIASB)
Flight Operations is designed for students who are interested in a career as a pilot. Using classroom instruction and experiential learning, the course covers the first half of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) Private Pilot License Syllabus and prepares students to begin formal flight training.
- Airport Operations & Air Traffic Management at Athens International Airport
- Flight Operations & Aircraft Maintenance at Megara General Aviation Airport
Class sessions will be held at Hellenic American College, Massalias 22, Athens. Buses for the on-site sessions will leave from the College and transportation costs to the practicum sites is provided by the Academy. Lunch for all in-class sessions and practicums is provided by the Academy.
- Dr. Triant Flouris is Provost and University Professor at Hellenic American University. Dr. Flouris, previously Dean of the School of Aviation Sciences at Daniel Webster College in New Hampshire, USA is the author of over 200 publications in such areas as aviation strategic and risk management, aviation policy, and aviation project management. He is a professional pilot and certified flight and ground instructor with over 7,000 hours of flight time.
- Dr. Konstantinos Kalligiannis received his Ph.D. in Airline Marketing from Cranfield University, UK. He also holds a M.Sc. in Airport Planning and Management from Loughborough University, a M.Sc. in Air Transport from Cranfield University. As an aviation consultant he was involved in the development of the Master for the New Lisbon Airport, the privatization of the Portuguese airports; the certification and operational readiness and transfer for the new Larnaka Airport; and other projects for major international airports.